Writing What You Want

Friday, April 30

I've repeatedly said in posts that "You are the author. The decisions are up to you. It's your book, do whatever you want..."
But sometime you have to sacrifice what you want for what makes sense.

I've developing another rough draft on the side. In it, I want the main character to fall in love with this girl. But that messes up my plot and destroys the personality I've created for my character. As much as I'd love a love story, I can't do it while retaining the character's true form (and the girl doesn't deserve him anyway.)

R.L. LaFevers, when writing Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, created a character that she didn't want. On her blog, she said;

While I was writing the first book I ran into the problem of Nate and Aunt Phil having to travel all over the world...and how to make it interesting rather than episodic or a simple tour guide recounting. Drama, I thought! I need to increase the tension! Make Nate proactive!

So I had Aunt Phil send Nate out on the wing to go up to the propeller and see what was gumming up the prop...
And much to everyone's surprise (not the least of which mine) it was a gremlin who was gumming up the works and out she popped into the story.
B-but . . . I didn't want a gremlin in the book! It didn't work! It mucked up the world I was building and mixed mythologies and . . . and . . . No, I wailed!
But try as hard as I might, I simply could not write the book without her. And if you know how life works, it is probably not surprising to learn that for many readers she is one of the most popular parts of the book.
Sometimes, no matter how badly you want something, your book must come first.
Hey, no one ever said writing a novel was easy.

4 comment(s):

emily Friday, April 30, 2010  

I know right! It so much easier thinking up a good story, but then putting it on paper is the hard part.

Story Weaver Friday, April 30, 2010  

Took the words out of my mouth Milli!
Thanks Guinevere. :)

Unknown Thursday, November 10, 2016  

Some people like to write about their favorite topics to share with others by best custom resumes. But they don't have free time from jobs so can't writer anyway read this post to know about writing what you want.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visitors from around the Globe

free counters

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP