The Length of Rough Drafts

Tuesday, December 29



Sorry for not being able to post yesterday as promised, but I have a valid excuse; I did not have access to a computer. Great, moving on.

I found out something the other day. (As usual, this knowledge seems obvious but it's something I've only recently hammered into my thick head.)
I figured out that the rough draft does not have to be 200 pages.
I've been dissatisfied because my rough draft, my suposedly brilliant beginning, is turning out to be around 30 pages long.
But I finally figured out that it's only a rough draft. It doesn't have to be Leo Toltsky on the first try. This is only the backbone, the skeletal structure. The next drafts will add to it. Karen Cushman put it rather well. She said something to the extent of 'the rough draft is the bullion cube of a book' that she stretches into a full-fledged novel.
So don't worry if the Rough draft isn't the masterpiece you imagined.
They seldom are.

5 comment(s):

Hannah Nicole Wednesday, December 30, 2009  

A rough draft is just a beginning--what it leads to is the end.

Heh, heh...there's my poetical phrase for the day. ;)

I wish I had your problem. I'm afraid (the way my rough draft's going right now) that my novel will end up being about 800 pages. I'm 1/4 of the way through and I'm at 206 pages. o.O *sighs*

I can't wait to revise. ^^

Blessings,

--Hannah

Story Weaver Wednesday, December 30, 2009  

Very poetic. :)

Hmmm, never thought of the short Rough Draft as a blessing before...thanks!

And good luck with your 800(!) page rough draft.

Celtic Traveler Wednesday, December 30, 2009  

One famous guy said "I made it longer because I couldn't make it shorter".
I wish my rough drafts were heading toward 800 pages :)

social media marketing services Tuesday, January 14, 2020  

This is great blogspot blog that you have developed, Now I'd like tp say the book, you have shared on this article, I have no idea about, but Hatsoff to you!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visitors from around the Globe

free counters

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP