The Truth about Writers

Monday, August 3

Before I began writing, I had this idea in my head that writers were these highly chic, good-looking people, wealthy, and preferably with reading glasses. I imagined them 24/7 sitting at a desk effortlessly pouring forth brilliant words and sending them onward to publishers.

Uh uh. Nope.

Truth be told, they're average people who struggle to figure out the first draft.
My imagination still runs away with popular belief and I picture myself, a full-fledged published author, sitting in Starbucks munching on pastries and "effortlessly pouring out words". How cliche is that?
Believe me, if you're going to write, its not a way to "make money on the side." At least not after a while.
Writing becomes one of the things you think about most. you worry about your characters almost as much as you worry about life.
But I love it. I don't know what else I'd want to do.

Writing became such a process of discovery that I couldn't wait to get to work in the morning:  I wanted to know what I was going to say.  ~Sharon O'Brien
P.S. I hadn't noticed the difficulty in commenting until I tried to comment! That's fixed now so no excuses for not giving feedback. :)

1 comment(s):

Anonymous,  Monday, August 03, 2009  

Thx 4 fixin the commenting! I've been tryin 2 do that for ages!

P.S. Like ur "cliche" on bein a writer in Starbucks. Nice mental pictr, though :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visitors from around the Globe

free counters

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP