Writer Cliches

Wednesday, August 12

"So, what do you do?" they ask.
"Oh," I say offhand. "I write."
They look at me skeptically, their eyes trying to find the nonexistent book bag on my shoulder, the pencil in my ear, and the notebook that I should be clutching.
"Of course, you obviously don't take it very seriously," their wan smile says.
Think again.
No one seems to believe you're a writer until they've walked in the room and interrupt you scribbling something on a napkin. It's only then that their eyes swell with trust and the sentimentality of ‘wow, a person dedicated to their craft.’ And we're back to the cliche starbucks writing.
For the record, I do more than writing books and blog posts.


 In other news, I've been working on a couple rough drafts I never completed while I've been waiting for the revision deadline. So far it has proved to me that my notebooks are chronologically a mess. I seem to write better when I'm not writing in order.
 
I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
~Michelangelo

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
There was an error in this gadget

Visitors from around the Globe

free counters

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP