Writer's Life

Saturday, January 15

Writing is an agonizing life. You love your family and your characters pretty much the same (although I don't stay awake at night thinking how best to torture my family). You pace in your bedroom/office, despairing over your sloppy writing and eating Lindor Truffles like popcorn.

You can't afford to sit around and wait for inspiration, which is about half as reliable as weed killer. And when inspiration does hit, you're in a darkened movie theater with no access to paper, and all you can do is whip out your cell phone and jot notes while people behind you kick your seat and tell you to stop texting.

If writing is such a miserable life, why do so many people do it?
We're writers. We crave misery. It gives us good ideas for our books.
I will always be a writer. I couldn't change that now, not even if I tried. You might as well suck the soul out of my body.

But that's just me. Why do you write?

9 comment(s):

Anonymous,  Saturday, January 15, 2011  

Oh my gosh I love this!!! That totally sums up the life of a writer!!

I guess I write because I have to...or I won't be able to live.

Sananora Saturday, January 15, 2011  

I have never thought of writing for reputation & honor. What I have in my heart must come out; that is the reason why I compose.- Beethoven

I suppose that's about the same reason I have for writing.

Tessa Emily Hall Thursday, January 27, 2011  

I love this post!

Writing is such a difficult, frustrating, and sometimes lonely task - so that's a great question. For me, I can't not write. All of these ideas have to get put to use somehow. I've always been the one determined to get done what I want accomplished, so the cons of writing has never (and will never) outweigh the pros for me.

There's so much magic that comes with writing and reading. Who wouldn't want to create stories and characters, in the process entertain readers, minister to them, and give them a sense of escape for the moment?

I love these quotes:

“For a writer, words are like daubs of color on a painter’s palette or notes on a musician’s staff. The right words, strung together in the right order, become powerful tools in the hands of a skilled artist. Using a precise word in just the right place can move readers to tears or to action, and a call to arms, between a nice story and a life-changing piece of fiction.”
~Deborah Raney

“I write when the fear of not writing overcomes my fear of writing.”
~Unknown

Sierra Tuesday, February 08, 2011  

My thoughts on writing exactly!

"If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad." ~Lord Byron~

"I love writing. I love the swirl and swing of words as they tangle with human emotions." ~James Michener~

"To me the greatest pleasure of writing is not what it's about, but the inner music the words make." ~Truman Capote~

"Every writer I know has trouble writing" ~Joseph Heller~

Anonymous,  Friday, February 11, 2011  

Story Weaver, I have a problem (no pressure on you, right:)
I've been working on a book for years. I have the characters, the world, the villains.
I just don't know what it's about.
It's kinda pathetic.
Idk what my theme is and I can't sum up what it's about to save my life. I know I need a plot where there's an end climax, but mostly is just bad guys doing bad things to good guys and good guys trying to escape and not get killed.
I know that's not a good description,sorry.
Please help? Any ideas?

Anonymous,  Saturday, February 12, 2011  

Oh, you are hilarious. I picked you out from comments on Janice Hardy's blog and now I've checked you out I think I love you! Christian and conservative? Is there any hope for us in the publishing world?

Story Weaver Monday, February 14, 2011  

Wow, thanks for all the comments! I have been under the weather for the past month and have been dealing with personal issues. I'm working on a new series of posts and hope to post the first one soon.

Story Weaver Monday, February 14, 2011  

Dear Anonymous (the first):
I know exactly what it's like to have that kind of story. The point is, every story needs a driving force, so you can either create a driving force or (and I know this is hard to bear) you must give up on the story.

Maybe you could email me at writersnse@gmail.com with more details of your story so we can try to avoid such a sad fate.
Or check out this post.

Some know me as CRAZY for a BROWN EYED BOY,  Monday, February 28, 2011  

I write to live, I live to write. It's a vicious but oh so fulfilling cycle.

~nothing is more hopeful than a blank sheet of paper~ Ernest Hemmingway

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visitors from around the Globe

free counters

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP