Trying Too Hard

Saturday, December 18

So many great ideas strike you when you're just sitting and thinking.
I was thinking, as I usually do, about writing.
I've been struggling, unsure what to write, how to write it, and finding no enjoyment in bringing characters to life.
Then I realized the answer to writing.

Don't try too hard.

What seperates a good artist and a bad one? The good artist donesn't try too hard, doesn't let the lines get too stiff, or the color too vibrant.

Write the book you most want to read. That's all there is to it. The stories I most enjoy writing are the freewrites, the ones that "don't matter".

Cyril Connolly said it's "better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
I think that's true.

So here goes, I'm writing the post I want to write. And tonight, I'll work on my neglected story. I pull up a chair, switch on the computer, and let go.

5 comment(s):

Sananora Saturday, December 18, 2010  

That's why I started writing, it was because I enjoyed it. I didn't care if the story had been written a million times before or if those creatures were used in different books I just wrote for the fun of it.
Anyhow I figured I'd get better by writing those books and I'd get out of the urge to copy any books.

Anonymous,  Sunday, December 19, 2010  

I too started writing because I wanted to read "that kinda of book." If you write for yourself, you're writing also for everyone else because people may not talk like they want dreams still, but deep down inside, everyone wants a dream to believe in. And I think that's what's the important part of a book—finding something to believe in.

-A.

Anonymous,  Monday, December 20, 2010  

Wow, that's really true, and exactly what I have been struggling with since NaNoWriMo is over. :/

Story Weaver Tuesday, December 21, 2010  

It's why I started writing too. But simple truths like this take a while to get through my thick skull. :)

Tessa Emily Hall Tuesday, January 04, 2011  

Great post! I needed this. I've sort of been stuck in writing due to trying too hard.

Thanks for sharing. =)

Tessa

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visitors from around the Globe

free counters

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP