Death of a story: What should really be two posts but is combined into one

Saturday, September 12

It's been a little over a month since I finished a rough draft for the first time.
So I broke out the worn notebook and stared at it for a while, trying to figure out how to start the revision process.
But no matter how hard I thought, I couldn't think of a way to fix the plot.
So I started making a tree-looking map of all the possible scenarios that each plot point could lead to.
I got this far before the endless choices scared me and I quit.
I was scared that if I followed one, it'd be, I don't know, the WRONG direction.
And I really don't feel like writing out every possible scene.

I've been a scared little writer for quite some time. Sometimes I began worrying about "WHAT IF I GET IT WRONG?"

There are three rules for writing. Unfortunately, no one can agree what they are.
~Somerset Maugham
Though writing rules vary from author to author, Mary Bass's three rules for writng are Be Entertaining, Be true to your story, and BE FEARLESS.
Fearlessnes, ah.
Gonna have to work on that.


But my first shot at revision revealed that the book died a while ago anyway.

I was surprised to realize that it was dead. By "dead", I mean "dead" like a dead language (latin for example.)

I don't know if he (I think of the book as a "he" since the main charcter's a guy) will make a comeback someday in the far future. Maybe someday it'll hit me how to fix the rough draft, but for now, I'm moving on to work on one of my other drafts I still need to finish.

7 comment(s):

Walnut Springs Press Monday, September 14, 2009  

Dear story_weaver,

Thank you for stopping by our blog. Illuminations of the Heart is a wonderful book. Our books can be found at a wide variety of places including Deseret Book Stores, Deseretbook.com, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, as well as your local independent LDS bookstores. If you have any further questions, I would be happy to answer them. Amy Orton
aorton@leatherwoodpress.com

ChesireCat,  Saturday, September 19, 2009  

email me and we can talk about publishing options. you already have my email. <3 Cheshire

Story Weaver Saturday, September 19, 2009  

Um, Chesire cat, I don't know who you are or what your e-mail is.

CheshireCat,  Wednesday, September 23, 2009  

stories don't REALLY die, you know, they may just.... go into like a coma or whatever for a while. :)

Story Weaver Saturday, September 26, 2009  

Absolutely right Cheshire Cat.
The thing about dead books, is they're not dead they're just "Mostly dead" (Like from The Princess Bride.) :)

ChesireCat,  Monday, September 28, 2009  

Love it!!!!!!!!!! I totally AGREE!!!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visitors from around the Globe

free counters

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP